Featured Post

grand rapids years: vacation pictures, mostly "out west"

Translate

LifeNews.com

Saturday, March 22, 2014

playing football at grand rapids christian high (go eagles!)

Playing football was an important part of life for me from rocket league (which is what they called the kids football program in grand rapids at the time) all the way thru high school. I might have played in college as well but calvin didn't have it (& still doesn't..doesn't look like they ever will). Here's a few rare photos of me , #31, in action...must have been taken by my dad during the 1983-84 season, my junior year.  I managed to make all-city honorable mention my senior year...and will post the certificate to prove it once i find it. This was during the city-league era (now GRCH is in a different league) when it was composed of Ottawa, Catholic Central, Union, Creston, & West Catholic (was there another team or two ?) . Bill "Moose" Holwerda was our coach at the time (RIP) and the assistants included Pettinga, Vanderkamp, Frieswyk, and a few others. Our biggest player was Steve Korhorn...he played both ways , noseguard & center, and I think he made all-state his senior year. Also there was Steve Griffeon at tailback, Scott Brill at lineback, Eric Spearman (fullback), Paul Laninga (def end) (RIP), Rick Byle (defense, RIP), and many others...lots of great teammates and friends.
Go Eagles !














God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; 
He does great things beyond our understanding.”
Job 37:5